Estonia has ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which aims to guarantee all disabled people their human rights and fundamental freedoms and to promote respect for their inherent dignity.
The principles of the Convention are as follows:
- respect for the inherent dignity, individual autonomy including the freedom to make one’s own choices, and independence of persons;
- full and effective participation and inclusion in society;
- respect for difference and acceptance of persons with disabilities as part of human diversity and humanity;
- equality of opportunity;
- equality between men and women;
- respect for the evolving capacities of children with disabilities and respect for the right of children with disabilities to preserve their identities.
If you feel that you’ve been treated unequally, please contact the Equality Commissioner by e-mail at email@example.com or telephone +372 626 9059. The anonymity of the person is guaranteed when contacting the Commissioner.